Refurbishment of the old building of the Folkwang Museum in Essen
- Design:Refurbishment: PLAN FORWARD GmbH
- GFA|Gr.Vol|NIA7,500 m² | 35,400 m³ | 5,000 m²
- Services:General refurbishment, building planning, AHO project level 1 - 5, scope A - D HOAI § 33, LPH 2 - 8
- Period:06/2009 - 03/2010
- Costs:10.3 mio. Euros (gross, CG 200-700)
- Client:Neubau Museum Folkwang Essen GmbH (NMFE) on behalf of the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation
The listed old building of the Museum Folkwang from 1960 represents an outstanding example of modern museum architecture of the post-war period. Located in the south wing of the museum, it connects to the new building via two spacious corridors. The old building, which served as a model for the design of the new building with regard to the use of daylight in the exhibition rooms, was technically adapted to the new building during its renovation. angepasst.
The large skylights on the first floor were reactivated and the exhibiton space in basement has been almost tripled, now accommodating collections of non-European art. The annex building with the Karl-Ernst-Osthaus-Saal as an event space and rooms for museum education, administration and storage completes the ensemble to the south.
The old building was converted in a flowing transition to the new building. The new building complements the building, preserving its integrity and continues its architectural principle with an ensemble of six buildings and four inner courtyards, gardens and foyers.
PLAN FORWARD carried out the design for the revision of the old building. The entire realization of the new building and the old building was implemented by NMFE GmbH, also a company of the WOLFF GRUPPE.